TopBand: JY9QJ Mess

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: JY9QJ Mess
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 15:05:24 -0500

>Maybe we ought to quit spotting 160 meter DX. The fellow was QSX up. Guys
>were calling on his freq. Someone kept sending UP every couple of seconds.
>Then someone
>would respond NO. What a mess!

Yep, I went up to watch TV after the mess started. People not even called
were having ghost QSO's with him, transmitting on his frequency and QRMing
him while pretending to work him, while the guys he really answered never
knew he did because of the near zero beat QRM from the imaginary QSO's.

It sounds more and more like 20 meters, and less and less like 160.

Too bad we can't work a kHz or two up, and answer only when we really know he
replied. Removing the old split frequency operation was the worse thing to
happen to DX on 160.

73 Tom