TopBand: Score calculation help for Stew Perry Topband.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Score calculation help for Stew Perry Topband.
From: Walter Miller <aj6t@slip.net> (Walter Miller)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 21:24:52 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, [ISO-2022-JP] 大家 wrote:
> It would be appreciated if anybody could help me to calculate distance among
> these
> grid scares. Thank you in advance.
>
> (1)  PM95 and DM04
> (2)  PM95 and QK23
> (3)  PM95 and PJ77
>
> JH1HRJ  Kaz

Calculating distances accurately on a non-spherical earth is not a trivial
business, as evidenced by these three inconsistant results posted to the
topband reflector.  I used an old program by W9IP/2 called TWOGRIDS.

                 per K6EID     per TRLOG   per TWOGRIDS

PM95 and DM04    8768 km       7431 km     8787.5 km
PM95 and QK23    2508 km       2476 km     2517.3 km
PM95 and PJ77    3141 km       3126 km     3137.9 km

I suspect a data entry error in the TRLOG calulation for PM95-DM04.
In most cases the small differences between the various programs wont
matter for scoring purposes, but right at the boundary between point
values it WILL change the score.
73, Walt
Walter Miller, AJ6T    Saratoga, CA    USA   CM87
Reply to aj6t@slip.net