TopBand: Re: N0AX Stewed!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: N0AX Stewed!
From: n0dh@comtch.iea.com (DAVE - N7EX)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 02:50:27 +0000
At 04:12 PM 12/29/96 -0800, Ward Silver wrote:

>83 QSOs for 353 points x 2 for the 100W power mult = a score of 706.  Or,
>for those of you putting this in spreadsheets:
>
>83 353 2 706
>
>everal 8 pointers on the East Coast worked, and a surprising number of
>callers to my CQs from 8,9,3, and 4th districts.  I failed to take into
>account the societal discontinuity for JA and broke off too early,
>choosing to get up early for the sunrise opening.  BZZZZT!  Looks like I
>should have stayed up a couple extra hours as I heard no JAs on Sunday
>morning between 1330 and 1500.

Yep

The big JA run was from 11:00 to 13:00z I worked 35 of em! Only heard JA7NI
after 1300, he was strong enough, the rest of them must have used up their
14 hours or just plain got tired and went to bed!

>Only heard SM5EDX here as the EU DX representative...very solid signal for
>over an hour, but was unable to raise him with 100W.  KH2D was also quite
>solid but was unable to hear well and KC6VW showed up right at the end of
>the test and the pileup got too big.  Where was KH6CC?

The "Spotlight" effect is apparently alive and well in Washington just as
in the 160 test. Here on the east side of the state only 300 miles farther
east , GM3POI was louder (than SM5EDX) by about 1 S unit and was copiable
here on the east side of the state for 3 hours! KH6CC was on briefly  for
the first hour of the contest from 1500 to 1600Z on Saturday morning.