TopBand: 160 QSK Operating Practices

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160 QSK Operating Practices
From: kt6v@concentric.net (C.T. Morton)
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 08:48:30 -0800
As a newcomer to topband, I have greatly enjoyed my experiences. Only
been active for 3 weeks and feel like a kid with a new toy!  Last nite
was especially exciting, worked 5 new countries;easy to do if you only
have 22 so far.  Signals were really good from SM/OH/GW/G and F. Am only
using 1/4 wave sloper from 75ft crankup tower and a Gladiator vertical
with elevated loaded radials.

My questions stem from the operating practices heard from the other guys
on 160m.
I have noted quite a few stations that send their calls 3, 4 or five
times in a pileup. This by itself may not be unusual, however, the dx
has already acknowledged someone else and is half way thru an exchange
before they finish sending their calls. This "drags" out the qso as guys
then send, "?, agn, or huh".  I have used QSK on cw for quite some time
and wouldnt be without it. So my question: Is qsk considered a norm on
this band, is it not used by some due to poor operating practices,
equipment limitations, poor listening antennas(all of the above), or is
it due to using beverages and other types of antennas that wont allow
qsk?  I remember a thread on the reflector about using isolation on the
rx antennas so as to not "blow" or overload the front end. I plan on
putting up an EWE soon. Can I use qsk with a EWE? My EWE will be either
60 ft away or another choice is about 200 ft.

Forgive my ignorance, just a FNG trying to learn the ropes and have fun
at the same time. Thanks for your inputs.
73 Tom K6CT