TopBand: 160 meter phased inverted-L's

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160 meter phased inverted-L's
From: n0dh@comtch.iea.com (Dave / N7EX)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:28:09 -0800
KenDulK8ZR@aol.com wrote:

> I know that there are several hams on here using phased inverted-L's on 160
> with 1/2 wavelength spacing. I remember reading some time ago that they have
> the ends of the L's pointed at each other. Is there an advantage to that? Or
> can the horizontal sections be parallel to each other?
>
> tnx,
> Ken K8ZR

The computer models indicate that if you are feeding the L's in phase
(broadside) there is a slight advantage in having the L's point at each
other. This is theoretically .5db to 1.5db over all the other possible
permutations. I dont remember which permutation is the worse. This ONLY
applies in the BROADSIDE case. Other phasings have other optimal wire
placement.

My 1/2 wave spaced L's point at each other by luck of the available
organic antenna towers (trees) that I have to work with. My L's are set
up to switch in 180 degree of phase shift in one leg so I can go endfrie
as well.
For the sake of a few tenths of a db I wouldn't woryy about it a lot.
Put your time, worry and effort into the ground system.

Dave
N7EX