TopBand: Trees - Summary

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Trees - Summary
From: hwardsil@wolfenet.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 08:46:40 -0800 (PST)
The jury is hopelessly deadlocked between "Trees - Evil RF Suckers" and
"Trees - Our Green Friends".

Lots of anecdotal evidence on both sides, but the suckers have the more
pithy stories.  The key point seems to be not to let uninsulated wire
touch branches or trunks.  If possible, keep vertical wires away from
trunks...4 to 6 feet seems to be a median value.

Others have their wires drooping all over live wood without the slightest
observed effect.  Receive antennas seem to be the least likely to be
affected.

Have I noticed seasonal variations that might correlate to sap levels?
No, but I'll keep an eye on it.  Because this is an evergreen in a
moderate (and wet) climate, I don't expect much variation, anyway.  Those
of you in the Midwest and Northeast would probably have a stronger effect
to observe.

Bottom line - I'm going to pull the vertical part of the L a few more feet
away from the tree and then be happy and work on other things.

73, Ward N0AX