TopBand: Trees and RF

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Trees and RF
From: cwhiffen@atl.mindspring.com (Clay Whiffen)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 18:51:26 -0500
Guess I better speak up.  I had a short letter in QST Technical
Correspondance Nov '91 that addressed the effect of a tree on an adjacent
vertical.  You can reference that.  In short, I had (still have, actually) a
pair of verticals hanging in two large oaks.  Each is 58' high with a top
resonance at 1.83MHz.  I found that if the top wire was allowed to touch a
large limb (8" dia) the resistive component went up to 75 ohms.  As I moved
the top wire away from the limb the resistive component went down.  It
leveled off at about  45 ohms when the wire was around 5 or 6 feet from the
limb.  During the same time period my friend, K3BZ, had an 80M vertical
suspended in a tall pine and about a foot from the trunk.  I'm not sure of
his exact measurements but I think the resistive component went from 57 ohms
down to 40(?) when he moved the base out to about 6 foot from the trunk.
Wanted to follow this up with a research project but business, 160M, golf
and laziness got in the way. . . . . .

                         Clay, K3IX