TopBand: Spurs - update

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Spurs - update
From: tree@lady.axian.com (Larry Tyree)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 08:42:36 -0800 (PST)
I mailed VE7UZ a letter explaining the problem I am seeing with
his signal. The problem is a backwave signal - which is about 10kHz
below his transmit frequency.  It is very raspy sounding (like a
parasitic).  When he sends a dit or a dah, the signal "swishes" up
to his transmit frequency.  I ended up listening to reverse CW.
Of course, any frequency where this signal swishes by is also
disturbed.  If you listen to his signal with wide filters on,
you can hear a chirp sound as this signal swishes into place.

Hopefully he can find the problem.  It is about 30 or maybe 40 db
below his transmitted signal - which means it is S9.

Conerning receivers - I have a Sherwoodized R4-C next to my TS-850S.
I have one or two top band stations within a mile of me, and I have
had no problems with either radio being overloaded.  Also, I have
used them both on 20 meters - while transmitting on 20 meters with
a KW - and can get withing 10 kHz of my transmit frequency with no
interference.  This is using a receive antenna 600 feet away from the
transmit antennas.

Overall - I have been very impressed with the 850's receiver with
nearby strong signals.  Once, at W7RM's, I heard some overload on
40 meters during the SS CW - in the R4-C!  It wasn't there with the
850.

And I am almost always using my transmit antennas for receive -
which means the loud signals are 50 over.

73 Tree N6TR
k7rat@jzap.com