TopBand: key klix

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: key klix
From: wb6tza@compuall.net (wb6tza@compuall.net)
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:20:09 -0800
a brief thought on Key Klicks-

I did complain to a couple non local stations (I am in LAX, at least I'm
300-400 miles from the silicon valley gang!) about their Klicks- when they
move into 200-300 Hz away and try to run, all had better be squeaky clean
and quiet. -

Several years ago, I experienced generating too much Klicking with a TS-940
and an Alpha 78-  It sees that the 940 is rather sharp keying already and if
you operate full qsk, leading edge transients are seriously magnified by the
switching timing as the combination of equipment does not have provisions to
hold off the tx rf until the ptt sequence is completed.  A millisecond or
two more delay probably would have solved the problem.  I simply do not run
full qsk and that seems to keep my neighbors a lot happier.  This year, I
borrowed a 1000MP which has both the delay tx keying loop provisions and a
software RF generation delay control.    Since I use two receivers and
listen while transmitting, I am rather sensitive to junk my own TX makes -
The 1000MP is a lot quieter than the 940 - no surprise...

73

robin, wa6cdr/n6ll/xz1n   wb6tza@compuall.net