TopBand: 160 Test Night #2

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160 Test Night #2
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 10:58:42 -0600
To: <topband@contesting.com>
>Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 08:54:52 -0600
>
>Agree with K0HA, N6TR and others that
>condx GREAT for DX in ARRL 160, so
>good that I concentrated on DX instead
>of my score. Europe was louder here Sat.
>evening with GM3POI peaking an honest
>599 around 0500 utc 12-8. Heard both sides
>of a QSO between KH6AT and GM3POI at
>0512 - that was neat!  TK5NN, GW6J, VY1JA,
>OT6T, and JA5PJC had "big signals" as well.
>The "DX window" helped, but I found and worked
>DX outside it without having a Beverage.
>73,  Jon N0JK

  I got home a little before sunset on Saturday.  The first signal
that I heard was from SM4HCM at 2239z.  That was the strongest
signal that I heard from him or any European until after 0300z.
Then, some of the tough stations from the night before became easy:
SP2FAX, OZ3W, OM3GI, PI4COM...
  A "only Nebraska" paranoia kept me from CQing much during prime
DX hours fearing a stateside pileup.  I tried to provide NE during
non-prime hours.  Picked up several Europeans after finally CQing
during good hours late in the European opening until stateside QRM
got the better of the weak signal copy...  I'm sure that those
spending a lot of time CQing will have a good EU representation.
  Japan produced readable signals at both their sunset (0756z) and
until almost the end of the contest:  1548z from JA7NI (1338z sunrise).
  I hope that my XZ1N comment was seen in the jest that it was meant.
The operators there did an excellent job of trying to satisfy us
drolling slobs under harsh circumstances.

73,  Bill     K0HA