TopBand: Europe during ARRL 160?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Europe during ARRL 160?
From: tree@lady.axian.com (Larry Tyree)
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 13:32:09 -0800 (PST)
In 25 years of working this contest, I have never worked Europe during
it...  until last night!

Great signal from OT6T (ON4UN hiding under a different call).  Also
nice to work UA2FF for a new one - I heard him several times over a
2 hour period.  The window was a very useful tool for finding the
weak European signals with heavy QSB.  I really think it has a purpose
and should be kept - and maybe even expanded to 10 kHz.  It seems
one person parks on 1829.999999999999999 and another on 1835.00000001
and the window is suddenly 4 kHz wide after keyclicks.  Would be
nicer to have a bit more room for the Europeans to fit in.

The east coast gets a window to work JAs in...  it is only fair that
we get one for Europe!!

VR2AX was coming in very well at and after sunrise, but he must have
problems with noise as he heard very few stations.  N6RO got through
as did KL7Y and UA0ACG - but that is all I heard.

UA0ACG was active from zone 18 - K6NA got him, but didn't hear him
here.  R0/UR8LX was good a couple of nights ago, but I didn't
hear him this morning.  XV7SW was on, but not sure anyone worked
him - another no copy here in Oregon.  UN7J was also around (K6NA
heard him) but he is another station who doesn't copy as well
as he gets out.

I called CQ on 1822 as a beacon to 4X4NJ from 1515 to 1600 UTC.
I will do this again tomorrow if anyone in Europe is interested
in seeing if they can hear me long path.  I am using the club call
K7RAT.

Anyone have a good route for UA2FF?  #130 here and thanks to the
CY0AA QSL recently received (thanks Mike) I am up to 125 confirmed.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com