TopBand: TZ6VV Update

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: TZ6VV Update
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 07:51:22 -0500
>Larry Erwin in Segou, Mali

>If you receive this message, then I have successfully overcome
>both hardware and software to get on Email from Segou.  I'm using
>a Kam Plus modem and Pactor to send messages to Bamako via HF and
>it goes into the phone systenm there to the states for
>distribution.  Hopefully this means I will have regular (maybe
>daily) Email service again.
>
>The notebook computer crashed and is in Bamako trying to get
>itself back together.  Going to forego Win '95 and install
>Windows 3.1.
>
>TS450S is handling all the work (mission radio, email link, and
>ham activities.  It's going to be awhile before I get IC 735
>back.  Same with amp.
>
>Inverted L will probably have to come down.  Looking for other
>options.  Working on tower and/or mast options for beam and other
>antennas.
>
>I hope to be back in place to make regular skeds again soon.
>
>73s, Larry TZ6VV

While on the subject of E-mail connections to remote areas, and
implications for reflector traffic, here's a portion of a message
from a former subscriber in a country that 99.9% of you need on
160.  Please keep this in mind as you post messages!

"I think if the volume on the reflector continues I will have to
unsubscribe, and just ask (deleted) to pass on the juicy bits.  Our
satellite link is VERY sllooooowww and I only manage to connect at
abt 1200bps.  I cant stay on the line so long every time I download
mail, so I will have to see how the next few days go."

He subsequently unsubscribed.  :-(             73,  Bill  W4ZV