TopBand: Laddar line into the shack

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Laddar line into the shack
From: George.Guerin@kellogg.com (George Guerin)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 14:28:06 -0500
--IMA.Boundary.775146948

     Dave Gordon wrote:

     I will reply in capital letters with my thoughts.

Author:  dgordon@sadira.gb.nrao.edu (DAVID GORDON) at BC_INTERNET
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date:    12/3/96 11:25 AM

My shack is in my basement and I have a 3 inch pvc pipe
which I use to get my coaxes into the basement with.
Now, without using a balum outsideof the house, is there
any other way to get laddarline into the basement?

Could I run it thru the pvc pipe next to the coaxes? I
WOULD NOT TRY THAT, TOO MUCH CAPACITY COUPLING TO THE
OTHER CABLES

How about replacing a basement window with plastic and
running it thru that?  SOUNDS GOOD.  I REPLACED A
GLASS PANE WITH PLEXIGLAS AND THEN PUT A COUPLE OF
CERAMIC FEED THRUS IN WHERE I WANTED TO PUT THE LADDER
LINE AT THE OLD QTH.  STILL HAVE THE FEED THRUS

A THIRD APPROACH IS TO PUT A COUPLE OF PIECES OF RG11
THROUGH THE WALL NEXT TO EACH OTHER AND USE IT AS A
FEED THRU COUPLER.  JUST PEEL BACK THE SHIELDING THE
SAME ON BOTH PIECES OF COAX AND TAPE THE JACKET AND
SHIELD WILL.  PERFECT MATCH FOR 300 OHM LINE, NOT BAD
FOR 450 OHM LADDER LINE.

Comments are welcome.....might have to go with the outside
balum. Thanks.

-- David - KB4LCI
dgordon@nrao.edu

GOOD LUCK,   GEORGE, K8GG