TopBand: Beverage Help & SCR noise on beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage Help & SCR noise on beverages
From: George.Guerin@kellogg.com (George Guerin)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 13:58:39 -0500
--IMA.Boundary.087936948

     Hi Jim,

     Sounds like a real problem!!  I would suggest you start looking around
     the beverage as well as at the beverage.

     1. Do you have good connections at the impedance transformer?  Maybe
     swap out the UnUn for another to see if there is a bad solder joint.
     Cold joints act like diodes.  Maybe the ferrite is bad?  I do know
     that good ferrite can be cut and then clamped with a hose clamp
     similar to the large split beads used on computer leads.  Casting
     defects do play like cold solder joints!

     2. Are all the wire connections good along the beverage?  Maybe there
     is a defect in the wire hidden by insulation?  Is the termination
     resistor (if used) good and well connected?  Is the miniground plane
     at each end of the beverage OK and well connected?

     3. If you use voltage relay switching along the feed line, check the
     isolation capacitor(s), or swap them out.  Check the power source for
     defects, or just remove it temporarily.

     4. If you can, provide an alternate feed line to the beverage just to
     check out the quality of the hard line.  Swap switch positions for
     the beverage cables to make sure you have good switch contacts &
     connectors in your switch box.

     5. If the JA beverage is at the edge of transmit tower ground plane &
     it is OK, then look on the other side of the EU beverage to see if there
     is something else metal rusting to give diode effects, like a fence,
     shed, green house, etc.  (I assume you didn't do a perimeter wire around
     the radials.)  If you did, then maybe those connections near the EU
     beverage are the problem and are far enough from the JA beverage to not
     effect it?

     6. Let your mind surf.  I know it is frustrating,  Read the repeater
     freq. problem in middle of Dec 1996 QST.  It is just after the editorial
     on modifications called "demods".  They never found why it moved
     from 146.88 to 138 Mhz, but they changed tubes and tweeked circuits
     until the problem disappeared!  The cavities and their wiring were the
     first suspects, but were OK all along.  So maybe your beverage is OK and
     something nearby is rotten beyond what I mentioned above?

     7.  Maybe a portable radio along the line peaks somewhere and points you
     in the right direction?

        Good luck and Happy Hunting.

        I am only 1/2 mile from a 930 khz AM station 5KW days and 1KW nights
        and have been lucky on 160 so far.....just a 2nd harmonic at 1860.

        73    George, K8GG

        PS:  anyone have a noise cure for neighbor's SCR dimmers on lights?
        I have one or two beyond the end of a beverage on Africa!  In the
        morning I hear great off the back side... good way to work FW2EH and
        VKs..... but it gives me a fit when something like 9X or 5V is on and
        the neighbors are still up!  Now I turn our light off and kick in some
        noise blanking in the transceiver.  It does part of the job.  Oh for
        plain old resistors and incandescent bulbs!