TopBand: Ecuador update

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Ecuador update
From: trey@cisco.com (Trey Garlough)
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 96 5:58:45 PST
I now have a copy of the 160 log from the 1996 HC0E CQWW SSB effort in
hand, and as promised, I replied to all the cards and dropped them in
the mailbox in Concourse E of the Miami airport on my way back from
Quito on Thanksgiving Day.  If you don't see your card within the next
few days, send me another request with SASE to my callbook address and
I'll deal with it.

Please note, I'm not in any way an official QSL route nor am I
sanctioned in any way by the Quito Radio Club to act as a QSL manager,
nor do I have "permission" to do this, so please keep this on a "word
of mouth" basis.  In other words, I don't want to see myself on
GO-lists or anything like that, because I don't want to cause any
undue agitation for any of the HC0E boys (or myself).

Sorry I only made one JA top band QSO during my visit this time.  It
was during the contest.  I shipped a 5 kw generator down before the
contest and we got it QRV on Thursday before.  Friday morning I called
a bunch of CQs listening 1908 and got no answers.  I heard JA0MVW (I
think -- can't remember exactly) CQing and I called and called and
never received so much as a di-di-dah-dah-di-dit.

Saturday morning during the contest, on a lark I took a listen in the
JA window at 1050Z (an hour before my sunrise) and there was JE0MUV
calling CQ on 1907.5, loud and clear, 579, and listening down in the W
part of the band, and he promptly answered my call with a 599-25 for a
nice double multiplier.  Then against my better judgement as a
contester, I spent the next five minutes calling CQ and listening in
the JA window with no takers.

Anyhow, that's the story.  I'm considering a return visit for ARRL CW
in February.  Now that I have my own generator, I should have more
opportunities to hand out a few QSOs during those time while the
island power is QRT (0600Z until 1230Z, more or less).

--Trey, N5KO aka HC8N