TopBand: 160/80 shunt fed tower?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160/80 shunt fed tower?
From: wv5s@icon.net (wv5s@icon.net)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 09:03:49 +0000
Hello Topbanders,

I have a 65 ft tower with a TH7 and 40-2CD on top and 16 radials from
1/8 to 1/4 wavelength long.  I have shunt fed it for 160m with a
jumper across the 18 inch spaced shunt at abt 50 ft.  It seems to
 work pretty good.  The SWR is almost flat across the entire 160m band.
  Is that typical?

I also tried to add an 80 meter shunt on the opposite side of the
tower.  I havn't been able to find an optimum jumper point on the
shunt.  The lowest SWR has been 2:1 and the bandwith is quite narrow
(which is OK).  The performance has been poor.  I probably just need
 more time to refine it.  My question regards interaction between the
two shunts.  It appears that the 160m performance has decreased since
 I added the 80 m shunt.  Could this be true or is it just my biased
 judgement or band conditions?

Have any of you had success with a combo 160/80 m shunt fed tower?
Any guess where the 80 m jumper would be with 18 inch spacing?

Thanks for reading my questions and for your response if you can
help.

73,

Jim Hood, K5TT
President, Oklahoma DX Association
wv5s@icon.net
Past operations: KC6SS, V63SH, /XE, /WH6, /NH7, /KP2
Previous calls: WV5S, W0PUD, W7KDH, K5TWD
USA-CA # 432