TopBand: XZ1N on Top Band

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: XZ1N on Top Band
From: davekennedy@juno.com (David Kennedy)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 20:39:15 EST
....I feel sick and about to throw up reading about people sitting
in their arm chairs listening to S9+++ sigs from XZ1N as they
massage the pile ups on 160. From N.C, it has been Zero, Zilch,
Nada. I wish you guys in Eu and JA would cease and desist.

For Dave, N7RK: I wonder if K7WX and the XZ1N gang know
that the optimum path from the U.S. East coast to that part of the
world at East Coast sunrise is not the direct short path? During
November every year, for as long as I can remember, the optimum
sunrise path on 40, 80 and 160 has been via a "skewed' path S.W.
from N.C. This is about 90 degrees from the short path which is N.W.
from N.C. This is not news for long time East coast DXers but may be
news to the XZ gang if they have not experienced this East coast
phenomenon.

I worked XZ1N on 40M via the true long path S.E. from N.C. at sunset
on Nov. 17 and via the above mentioned "skewed" path on 30M S.W.
from N.C. at sunrise on Nov. 18. I hope the East caost famine has been
due to the poor propagation conditions but after reading the reports
from EU and JA and considering the very low Solar A and K numbers
I am beginning to wonder if the XZ gang know about the skewed path.
I bet it is S.E. from XZ. (?) From all indications the XZ gang are doing
a fantastic job except to Zones 4 and 5. Congrats to VE1ZZ and a very
few others! We right coasters will continue to listen hard but I have
a feeling the time is getting short.

73 and Congrats to the XZ gang, Dave, N4SU

.