TopBand: XZ1N Final Update - Nov. 24, 1996

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: XZ1N Final Update - Nov. 24, 1996
From: davidh@getnet.com (Dave Hollander - N7RK)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 18:30:21 +0200

Here is the final update from the guys in XZ Land......... de Dave N7RK

XZ1N Final Update from Warren, K7WX: November 24, 1996 Yangon, MYANMAR

The demand for SSB has been so high, the XZ1N team has made the decision to
alter our CQ WW CW contest plan. In place of a multi-multi entry, we have
instead opted for single band entries in 160 through 15 meters. The
remainder of the group will concentrate on SSB.

160 Meters: WA6CDR continues to work from late evening through our local
sunrise on top band. By tomorrow he will likely pass the 1000 QSO mark for
total QSOs. Openings to Europe and Japan have been good. Openings to North
America have been brief. From 1450Z to 1458Z the following stations were
worked: NI6T, W6RJ, KG6I, KA6W, K7IDX, N6NF, W6AJJ, and N6TR. From 1620 to
1643, KH6CC and KL7Y were worked. near impossible to zones  4 and 5.

80 Meters: From this location, in each pileup there appears to be three
distinct layers. The first background layer is a collection of
unintelligible calls, sounding almost like pink noise. These are most
likely average stations with modest power and a dipole or something
similar. The next recognizable layer consists of stations that may only 1
or 2 dB stronger and stand out due to a combination of favorable location,
more power and a better antenna. With effort, these stations are workable
and have been the majority of our contacts. The third layer is heard many
dB over the rest and is undoubtedly due to a more efficient antenna system.
W6RJ remains the best example of this group, although there have been may
others.

40 Meters: We have devoted one North American and one European opening to
SSB. The response was so positive that this will be done once more before
our departure.

20 Meters: This morning ( local sunset yesterday at zones 3-5) Millie, WY7K
ran the best opening to North America of the entire DXpedition. Big signals
in both directions for more than one hour.

15-10 Meters: Europe and Japan continue to dominate with no North America
heard. It should be remembered that we are still at the bottom of the
sunspot cycle and Myanmar is on the other side of the world. When was the
last time you worked a VU on 15 meters if you are in North America?

This will be the final update from Myanmar. with a stated emphasis on North
America, let me say once again that we remain grateful to the many European
and JA stations who graciously stood by during these openings. Visit the
XZ1N web page at http://www.getnet.com/~kf7ay/myanmar.html for details
regarding QSLs. A final summary of our activities will appear on this web
site next week.

73 and good DX to all de Warren K7WX

Dave  N7RK -  Webmaster CADXA
Phoenix, Arizona         *DXCC Honor Roll*    *WAZ#23 - 75 Meter SSB*

                 ex-N7RK/ZB2, VK2ERK, ZM0AJN, WB6NRK

                                  \\-//
davidh@getnet.com                 (o!o)         http://www.getnet.com/~davidh
E-Mail Address                                        My Home Page

Visit the Central Arizona DX Association Home page ---
http://www.getnet.com/~davidh/cadxa.html