TopBand: EA3JE

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: EA3JE
From: jmata@nil.fut.es (EA3VY JOSE MATA GARRIGA)
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 18:42:48 -0600
Hello friends:
>From time to time we can read in multiple places that EA3JE, Lou, puts
good sigs around the world but very often it seems that is deaf on the
receiving side.
This is due to the fact that he has the big problem to have a 220 Kv
power line at about 50 meters from his shack. He has a permanent noise
of 9+ on top band and can only copy well very good sigs. We have had a
long telephone chat and asked me to apologize in his behalf to the top
band people.
At his request both EA3KU (one of the best cw fine operators  that were
normally behind EA3VY in the Top Band Contests in the 80s) and myself
will try to improve Lou situation.
As a first step we will try what happens with a receiving loop about 3
meters of diameter to procede later with beverages.
Lou has a remarcable place. He lives in the countryside in a hill of his
property , not in the top but with open views to W-N-E paths. The hill
has slopes from 25 to 45 degrees.
We will appreciate comments on two questions:
1-From people that had experiences with nearby power lines.
2-The behavior of beverages placed in sloping up or down sites.

About Lou I should say that he is 63 and still uses to go to the top of
one of his towers 60m high (with a big 20 m array on the top). This
tower has an insulator in  the base(an old broadcast tower) but must be
grounded due the high currents inducted by the nearby power line .
He uses one horizontal dipole at 60 m that is supported between the
tower and a pinetree near the top of the hill, and also several full
size slopers also based on the tower. According him his tower, fed as a
vertical, is not specially good. I have some doubts about.
I measured with a Bird meter his output and is around 1.7 Kw.

Finally I would say in his behalf that if we can solve his problem he
will be specially QRV for West Coast contacts.

73s from José EA3VY