TopBand: They're BAAACK!!!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: They're BAAACK!!!
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:28:11 -0500
Yawn I know for the Westies, but the JA's are beginning to pick up here in
the mornings on the East Coast.  I have heard JA1HQT and JA0MVW a few times
weakly over the past 10 days but today they were in there with workable
signals.

I heard and worked JA1HQT who was the loudest at 579 around my sunrise 1150Z
and also JA0MVW and JE0MUV had respectable 569 sigs at the peak.  I called
the latter two stations many many times but seemingly they had no ears.
 Kudos to HQT on a better RX system, thats for sure!!!

Note to JA3AAW:

There are some real problems for the JA's this year if they want to work the
USA EAST Coast.  First the JA window is cluttered with several BC birdies
from 1907.5 to about 1911.  While Ja's if they are loud may be copied
(barely) in this region, the window is CLEAR CLEAR CLEAR from 1911.2 -
1912.5.

I would only suggest the JA's (esp the weaker equipped stations), if you want
to work the USA EAST COAST this year, PSE consider xmitting above 1911.2MHZ.
 We will hear you much better up there and there is room for at least 5 sigs
simultaneously in there with 500HZ filters going or 250HZ.

There is also another MUCH MORE serious problem.  KB3Fu and a few other folks
seem to have adopted 1910KHZ as a local gathering spot for continous daily
ragchews each sunrise and sunset and are making it nearly impossible for this
year's JA season to be productive.

Would some of you USA types like to help me in asking them to QSY.?  I have
spoken to them nicely twice and written a nice note to KB3FU.  Today they
advised me that if they don't hear CW, they assume it is clear!!!!!!!!!

While that's a clever response, it does not solve the problem.  finally when
I told them there were 5 Ja's under them just now and it was also sunrise,
they did slide down to 1900 today so I could work JA1HQT.

Guys, we need to lean politely on these guys collectively a bit to solve this
-- any of you EC types out there who wish to help me with this?? Otherwise,
this year is gonna be a real bust when JQ1SUO/JD1 shows up around XMAS - and
we can forget about seeing if LP to JA is possible from the USA this year
from the ECoast!

73 Jeff K1ZM@aol.com