TopBand: XZ1N Thursday

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: XZ1N Thursday
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 21:10:52 -0800
Bob Eldridge wrote:

> He is sure giving it a good try, but having great difficulty hearing W.
>
> Around 1500Z he sent "Running with AGC off and AF open enuf to hurt. Using
> 250 Hz filters and edsp/nb/notch. . . . with att0 background noise only S3
> to S5....QRZ west coast?"
>
> He alternated between "USA" and "JA" from before 1400Z to about 1500Z, took
> time out for a chat with VQ9SS at 1433, tried to work a UA at 1513Z, worked
> N7UA 1514Z then called CQ W/VE. By 1530 it was "CQ VE/W no EU" and he faded
> into the broad daylight about 1547.  Very frustrating.  Lots of W calling
> him 2 up, but nothing compared to the masses of JA around 1912.  73 de VE7BS
> Bob Eldridge VE7BS,
> Erickson Rd, Pemberton B.C. V0N 2L0
>                         eldridge@whistler.net

Heard the N7UA event--congrats to him! He may also have worked N6FF (FKA
KL7H/W6) but if there was anyone else, I don't know about it.

The "Searchlight" seems to have moved to the NW. In contrast to
yesterday--nothing heard until sunrise and then a big signal for almost
a half-hour, but no Q's--we in the Bay Area heard a mediocre signal from
his sunset (1100Z) to our sunrise (about 1500Z) at which time it got
WORSE.

I cannot list all those calling, but among them, in the course of the
night, were N7UA, W6OSP, W6AJJ, W6DAO, K6RK, KA6W, AJ6T, KG6I, K6ANP,
K6UT, VE7BS, N6FF, W7TVR, N7EX and, of course, myself. Notably absent
were N6DX, N6TR and NW6N, but that is a good sample of Northern Cal and
the Northwest.

Most of the above stations can wax me in any given pileup--some are true
500# gorillas. That only N7UA made it is very depressing! KA6W, for
example, sits on a 3000-ft coastal ridge overlooking the Pacific, with a
full-wave loop from a 140-foot tower. Ted and I were there at 1100, 1300
and 1500--their sunset, the so-called midnight bisector, and our
sunrise. The operator on the other end was probably Tom, N6BT--no
problems there! Operator competency, antenna efficiency and power are
not issues. They had over 200 Euros in the log YESTERDAY.

And, later today, VE1ZZ, at 2056, reported "569-good signal." Jack
logged them yesterday!!! WOW!

Things HAVE to get better---don't they? :--)
--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, The DXer