TopBand: Heard Island......

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Heard Island......
From: GRJOHNSON@VAX1.BEMIDJI.MSUS.EDU (GLENN R. JOHNSON, M.D.)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 21:53:15 -0600 (CST)
I have really enjoyed the comments of *listening* and being there
at the *right* time!   (like K1ZM, NI6T, etc)

I will be one of the low band ops on Heard Island in January, and
I think you all (unfortunately, I will not be home) will be
rewarded with a contact from Heard IF you are listening at the
right time.

Details will be in the December issue of the Low Band Monitor, but
to make a long story short, Heard Island will literally be perched
on the terminator for about 8 hours each night!  The trick from
North America will be to *be there* at your sunrise/sunset.
Motion studies of the terminator show nice gray-line paths!  The
window should be there twice a day, but it will be short, I
predict.

Because Heard Island is antipodal from North America, we could
have some VERY interesting paths, in addition to the "direct"
terminator path.

You can be *assured* that someone on Heard Island will be QRV on
topband from before sunset until after sunrise.

We will have several 1000' Beverages for listening.  For
transmitting we hope the Heard Island Special (aka 4-square
array), Battle Creek Special, and ON4UN monoband vertical will
"reach out and touch everyone!"

I begin my treck to Heard exactly 5 weeks from today!

73/DX
Glenn W0GJ

Glenn R. Johnson, M.D.        email:      grjohnson@vax1.bemidji.msus.edu
Home:  218-243-2611           BBS:        WA0PUJ@K0LAL.#NCMN.MN.USA.NA