TopBand: MLA2500

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: MLA2500
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 22:52:54 -0500
Hi Bob,

I looked at these products at an engineering level for the past owner of
Dentron. I have a time recalling specific components, but can give you some
general guidelines. When I get back fro a trip, I might be able to dig out my
old notes.

>1. What is the purpose of C10? Section 2 of the bandswitch puts it (100 pF)
>in parallel with 2000 pF in the Pi network output.  Some kind of harmonic or
>parasitic suppression?

As I recall it was an almost unnecessary padding cap for higher bands.

>2. Reason for asking is that maybe it could be transferred to go in parallel
>with C9 across the input to the Pi network on 160 to increase the Q.

The MLA does NOT need more Q, once Q is larger than one plus the sqrt of
Rplate/RLoad any further increase in Q lowers the efficiency. The MLA already
has more Q than necessary.

The quickest cure, short of correcting the entire tank, is to add padding
capacitance on the loading capacitor. The problem is almost aleways the

>3. But why is the Q said to be low anyway? C9 is 300 pF across the 140 pF
>variable, and <440 pF should give a Q of at least 10 shouldn't it?
>I do agree that to resonate properly on 160 this C has to be increased,
>because the efficiency goes down if turns are added to the coil.

Even a Q of eight should be ok when calculated at full pate input. I think
not enough C in the loading cap is being confused with not enough Q. The coil
needs **more turns** because it is jammed against the sheetmetal, and the
lack of inductance raises the capacitance required.

Think about it. Look at the plate C on 80, and how the amp works. It only
needs twice that value on 160 (plus a tiny bit because of shunt reactance
from the palte choke).

>A comment on MLA2500 threads: Seems to me that running a pair of 8875s at
>1000W or more output is asking for trouble. (I do mean 1000W output, not
>apparent output across a load that is more than 50 ohms).
>Excessive grid current kills 8875s, and I find the optimum condition is when
>drive and loading are adjusted to just barely move the grid drive meter. The
>extra output resulting from more drive just isn't worth the risk.

And add an electronic grid overload circuit, and a 20-40 ohm energy absorbing
resistor in series with the HV lead.

73 Tom