TopBand: Hill vs ocean

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Hill vs ocean
From: grimm@alison.sbc.edu (Kenneth D. Grimm)
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 11:11:22 -0500
> >On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Kenneth D. Grimm wrote:
> >
> > And now for another totally subjective comment:
> >
> > For about ten years I have been taking my Sony 2010 with me when
> > I go to the beach.  My 2010 DEFINITELY hears better when I am
> > at home in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Lynchburg,
> > VA than it does when I am at Tar Landing, Atlantic Beach, NC.  I notice
> > the same effect further north up the coast at Duck, NC.  These
> > observations were made with the same telescoping antenna at
> > both locations.
> >
> > What I consistently observe is a general reduction in signal levels on
> > all bands, 160 and down.  This despite a higher ground conductivity
> > along the NC coast (4) compared to the VA location (2).
> >
> > Yeah, I know this runs counter to what most of us expect.  It just
> > happened that way.  I'm irritated by it too, since I plan to retire
> > to the beach someday.
> >
> > Ken

and Steven Sample inquired:

> Were the tests taken at the same time of day and approx. same band
> condx.??
>
> Steve / n9fd (ex-AA9AX)

Yup, even listening to the same 160 mx roundtables and more to the
point, the same BBC SWBC freqs.  Remember, I'm talking 10 years of
observations with nary a single case of the sigs being stronger at
the beach.  Subjective, yes....but still!

       Kenneth D. Grimm                 K4XL
       grimm@alison.sbc.edu