TopBand: HS on 160 (long)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: HS on 160 (long)
From: crb@nanoteq.co.za (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 09:55:04 +200
The phenomenon referred to, where only one station is audible at a
time, is very much akin to what I've referred to on the Reflector
before.  On my DXpeditions, it was very often like a searchlight,
where only one very small area is audible at a time, and that area
moves around with time.  There is no regular movement either.  You
might have W1, W8, W9, W0, W3, W4, W5, W0, W7, W0, W9 etc in a single
opening.

The pileup is never audible; just a few stations at a time.

This is why I contend that the argument of the East Coast Wall
doesn't hold in most sunrise openings to Africa.  If the "spotlight"
is on the West Coast, the other coast is not even audible.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ
(a.k.a. 3DA0Z V51Z ZS0Z ZS3Z ZS9Z etc.)