TopBand: Antenna up at A61AD

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Antenna up at A61AD
From: don@aurumtel.com (don@aurumtel.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 12:10:21 -0500
Hello top band officianados....

Today I put up the inverted L.  It was not a pretty sight...Saeed purchased PVC
pipe (60 feet) and we got it about 70% up (me, Saeed and 3 gardeners who spoke
no English).  Then, despite all the guy wires (like the battle creek special)
it
SNAPPED.....

Soo, it is now tied off to 40 feet of pipe...and after some major revisions to
the antenna model (2500 PF of Capacitance, etc.) it is tuned to 1.830 with an
swr of 1.5:1.  There are 38 60 foot radials out there and since it was dark
when
I finished and didn't relish wandering around with Saeed's moat filled with
Crocidiles--true) I didn't get the beverage out.  I just tuned over the band
and
it is FULL of Russian speaking stations!  Never heard that before with the
GAP...I am psyched!  There is a ton of qsb but it is only dusk here and the
timewave dsp filter seems to filtering out the noise (at least on cw where I
plan on operating).

Sooo guys...I will get up at 00:00 UTC which is 2 hours before sunrise
(remember
I only got here this morning) and will be on 1828-1830 listening up 2.

Off to dinner and then bed.

73
Don
wb2 Don N Dubai/ A61AD