TopBand: fw2eh @ kh8/aa5bl

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: fw2eh @ kh8/aa5bl
From: cvanhoo@heartland.bradley.edu (Chuck Van Hoorn)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 96 10:38:55 CST

My quarterwave sloper was really working this morning. After no new ones over
the weekend contest got two new ones this morning. Worked fw2eh on 1.825 mhz
at 1132 Z with good a 589 into central Illinois. It was interesting the he
qsy'ed shortly after to 80 and the signals were much weaker. Wonder what the
antennas are there. At 1209Z worked kh8/aa5bl on 1828 also with a good 579
signal.

On  Sunday morning of the contest I could hear Jerry (WB9Z) working VK'S
but the only one I could hear at all was vk3ew...and that was pretty
marginal...I'm sure he could have never heard me.

The contest this weekend made me think of the first dx I ever worked on 160.
I had just got my first rig with 160 on it (Yaesu ft101e) and I did not have
much of a station. Had a thirty foot pole with a th3 on it. Took a piece of
wire ran it from my shack up the pole and out...no radials or anything else.
It was cqww ssb that weekend and was able to work vp2kc on six bands. It took
me till last year to get dxcc on that band. (should have got an amp sooner)
That vp2kc operation was in 1979. It took me longer to get dxcc on 160 than
to get #1 dxcc.

Anyway heres to a good morning on 160!

73 & DX

Chuck