TopBand: Beverage feedline replies

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage feedline replies
From: Henry Knoll <Henry.Knoll-1@tc.umn.edu> (Henry Knoll)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 22:56:12
I recently asked this newsgroup and the antenna newsgroup a question
about what feedline I could use for a Beverage.  Here is the summary of
the replies I received.  Enjoy!  73/DX   Henry   WA0GOZ

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 16:15:32 -0500

From: Mark Fossum <n0nsv@amsat.org

I just assembled a beverage antenna the other day in a field adjacent to
my house. I had the same question as you. I questioned the boys at
I.C.E. (the people who made my terminators and matching box) and they
said just use whatever you have as long as you're staying under 150' to
the beverage. Loss is minimal at such low frequencies.  73 Mark

From: Merv Schweigert <k9fd@htc.net

        Henry no reason in the world not to use 75 ohm coax for the
feed of a beverage, only precaution is to use decent coax such as
tv cable drop line or any other good shielded coax to prevent pickup
of unwanted sigs on the shiled.  I use cable tv 75 ohm stuff for
years , its cheap or free, works just great.  Good luck and see
you on the low bands 73 Merv

From: nw6n@juno.com

There is absolutely no reason why you can't use other types of cable for
feedlines to a beverage, We've all used all sorts of different types of
cable over the years!  73, Bob NW6N

From: Bill Hider <n3rr@erols.com

Henry, there is no reason you can't use cheap 75 Ohm coax.  For best
performance, use a 6:1 (or close to that) for the impedance tansformer.

Also, unless your feedlines are extremely long, there is no reason to
use RG-213 either.  I use RG-58 equivalent cable for feedlines 300 feet
long. Since the Beverages have loss, not gain, a few more dB loss makes
no difference, just use a preamp in the shack if you really need it.

From: abowen@nettally.com   (Bowen, Arlan)

I use RG 6 which has quite low loss, depending on quality. I buy mine at
ham radio flea markets for as low as  4 cents per foot, in large quant-
ities. Lots cheaper than trying to use RG58 or 59. Using the large stuff
is a waste of money.   INK N4OO

From: Bill Hohnstein <k0ha@navix.net

RG-6 is a good choice for beverage coax and what I use on all
six of mine.   73,  Bill    K0HA

From: N6DX@aol.com

No reason at all.  nearly all my Beverage feed lines are 75 ohm.  A good
source is the local cable TV company.  They usually have many roll ends of
100 to 300 feet of 75 ohm hardline.  It is better than coax since the
aluminum jacket is 100% shielding. I still use 9:1 transformers at the
antenna and no attempt to match the receiver end. However a tunable preamp
helps.  Good luck.  Darrell, N6DX@aol.com

From: Mandy Wright <Mandy@mrwolf.demon.co.uk>

Any coax will do (except audio lead).  The losses are minimal, and the
gain is irrelevant at these frequencies. Directivity and Signal/noise
ratio are all that matters.  Locate as far away as possible from buildings
or other noise sources, even if this means using a longer coax feed.
Ground the coax to a earth spike near the antenna and not at the receiver
end or the receiver will pick up noise.