TopBand: UA0KAG QSLs & DXCC 2000

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: UA0KAG QSLs & DXCC 2000
From: lcpvt@together.net (Ralph W1ZK)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 11:31:38 -0700
Hello All,
    I finally received something back from UA0KAG area. For my 160 QSO from
November 1995 I received my QSL card and my 2 IRCs back in my return SAE with
no
stamp or postmarks on the envelope. This was my second attempt, the first
contained a hidden Green Stamp but I assume the Postal people snagged that one.
guess they got this one too and are pissed that it only contained play money
and
want me to send some more Green Stamps. WELL ROBERTO ALOMAR ON THEM....
   I talked to Tom UA0KAG in March on 20 meters and he confirmed my 160 QSO and
he
said he was getting next to no mail. His confirmed address is Box 484, Cape
Schmidt 686830 but the mail is not even getting to Cape Schmidt. Also, he has
no
Bureau availability. Oh, for the good old days of Box 88.
 This problem is only getting worse. We've all seen the international postal
system degrade as individuals in an increasing number of countries have
supplemented their meager incomes with the contents of our mail.
  The ARRL has established the DXCC 2000 Committee to review the entire DXCC
program as we approach the start of the next millenium. In the October QST
there
is a questionaire on page 83 that the committee has formulated to help them in
their task. Unfortunately, it contains only one question concerning QSL
practices
and that's on the cost of checking our cards at the ARRL.
  Please take the time to complete and return this questionaire to the
Committee.
Also it would be great if we could come up with some suggestions to improve the
QSL requirements for the DXCC program. In the old days (1960s), if you worked a
station in the ARRL DX Test and that station sent in a log the DXCC desk would
credit you for that QSO, NO CARD REQUIRED. And that was before computerization.
With the entire DX Test now being in a data base on computer this one idea
looks
like a no brainer to me.
  Let the committee members know your thoughts on this subject. As we head
towards
that new millenium let's see if we can elevate the oldest practice in ham
radio, a
QSO confirmation to a new level. Lets take our QSL card fate out of the hands
of
the postal entrepreneurs and put it back in our hands!
  As far as my 160 meter Zone 19 QSO with Tom is concerned, I'm not going to
try
for strike 3 and consider my self lucky to at least have gotten my IRCs back.
If
you get a chance to have a good QSO with UA0KAG on another band you will see
Tom
is a real gentleman.

               73's good DX & Hope to hear from you with ideas,
                                      Ralph,   W1ZK