TopBand: RFI: HELP!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: RFI: HELP!
From: scott.a.long@owenscorning.com (long, scott a.)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 08:46:09 -0400
About 2 years ago I had a terrible noise problem on the low end of 80m.
I also noticed this same noise on 20m.  After investigating several
items around my house I found out that it was our "family" TV causing
the problem.  I noticed it was really bad down around 3.580 Mhz.  I
mentioned this to someone on packet one night and the guy told me it was
probably the color burst circuitry in the TV.  I called the manufacter
and in the beginning had some difficulty getting it thru their tech
supports heads that this was possible.  Finally after trying different
things myself to resolve the problem I saw I was getting no where on my
own or with the manufacter. So, I called the FCC and got them on it. The
fellow that worked with me was in the Michigan office and he was very
supportive.

The final result was, I ended up with a new TV shipped from the
manufacter because the TV was out of warranty and the dealer wouldn't
take care of it.
Now three years later the noise is back, only now its on 160.  This
morning before leaving for work I was trying to copy a JA and all of a
sudden the noise level jumped up from S4 to S9 along with a terrible
buzzing like sound.
At the time I was on the rx ant listening to a JA, I flipped to the
Inv-L which is further away from the shack and the noise seemed to drop
some, probably 2 s-units. I had a feeling that I knew what it was, so I
went up to see if the TV was on, and sure enough, it was. The xyl was
watching the Today Show.

I am going to call the manufacter again and try to explain this problem
to them again. Anyone out there ever experience anything like this?

Keep in mind, if I remove the coax from the TV the noise goes away. I am
not on any kind of cable system here either, just a normal TV antenna.
I've tried snap-on everything to resolve this in the past and nothing
worked.

The TV is a 20" Goldstar. My rig is a Yaesu FT-890AT and I am also using
a Timewave DSP-9. The previous rig was a Yaesu FT-101EX.

Thanks for your time in reading this. Any help or advise is much
appreciated!

Scott Long,  AA8SM
(614) 321-7166  (office  7 AM-3:30 PM)
(614) 321-7662  (fax)
(614) 344-8501

(TV is your childrens worst enemy, and its mine TOO!)