TopBand: ZD8Z on Top Band

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: ZD8Z on Top Band
From: xtila@netcom.com (XonTech)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 10:43:54 -0700 (PDT)
DJ7AA DE ZD8Z:

It has been brought to my attention that on 28 September you posted an
e-mail to the Top Band Reflector, snidely insinuating that I ignore
European DXers, and that I work Europeans (to my sole advantage??) in the
contests.  Let me assure you, nothing could be further from the truth!
If a signal makes it into my shack, I care not from whence it came, and
will work ANYONE, including you, DJ7AA.  My track record of a
year-and-a-half on Ascension as ZD8Z in 1968-69, and over the course of
some 40 trips to the island since 1989, will show, I believe, that ZD8Z
has worked more Europeans on all-bands 160 - 6, THAN ALL OTHER ZD8'S IN
HISTORY - COMBINED!

Please keep in mind that although I hold DXCC and have worked at least
330 countries over some 42 years of radio, I am NOT a DXer, and couldn't
care less about anyone's country totals, including yours, and especially
mine.  However, I have ALWAYS strived to provide new countries to the
deserving, often making special schedules and QSY's to other bands, from
my many DX operations from the Pacific, Asia, Africa, and Western Hemisphere.
DJ7AA, if you don't know this, than you must be new to DXing, and should
be forgiven for your lack of knowledge.

I choose to operate Top Band (and 80/40/30) when I decide, and if it's
not at times always favorable to Europe, or any other part of the world,
then that's just too bad.  Please remember, if it's not a contest, any
operations I do on Top Band are strictly for you guys, and if it's not
appreciated, believe me I'll feel much more comfortable hugging my pillow
than dragging my self from sleep to make the trek to the ZD8Z shack to
try and pull your puny S-4 signal through the S-9 noise.  DJ7AA, if you
think you can do it better, you will of course show us all how it's done.

By the way, I see from my ZD8Z log that you made it into my Top Band log
3 hours after posting your B.S. accusations.  Sorry I missed your retraction.

                  Fraternally yours,

                       Jim Neiger     N6TJ/ZD8Z
                       jneiger@xti.com