TopBand: 160 Magic

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160 Magic
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 19:48:00 -0500
>From: Bill Tippett <btippett@ctc.net>
>Subject: Re: TopBand: 160 Magic
>
>At 08:38  10/7/96 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>  Comparing receive antennas on ZB2FK produced interesting results...
>>With harvest not done yet here, all of my beverages are not up yet.
>>Currently I have them at 8, 43, 84, and 323 degrees.  323 was the best
>>of the four!  ...  73, Bill   K0HA
>
>Bill, best reception on Beverages at right angles to the desired path
>is often an indication of very high angle propagation conditions.  When
>I used to observe this from Colorado, I would immediately switch to my
>dipole and often found that to be the best receive AND transmit antenna...

>                                        73,  Bill  W0ZV

  This makes sense on why the best beverage was 323 degrees, but the
fact that the parasitic vertical array was still better contradicts
that.  That array produces an elevation pattern from 4 - 41 degrees
above the horizon (-3 dB), peaking at 16 degrees.  I would expect the
323 degree beverage to have better signal-to-noise if the Europeans
were coming in via high angle (the vertical array was much better for
receive).  Plus, compared to the other 0's last night, the vertical
array was doing an excellent job for transmit...

  I don't have a "low" dipole for comparison, but have other high
angle antennas for at least receive comparison.  I'll have to try
a better comparison with them on the "strange" nights...

  During the weekend the 8 degree beverage was the better beverage
for Europe (strangely normal for this location).  The vertical array
was occasionally better for receive, but the beverage was produced
better copy more often.

73,
   Bill   K0HA