TopBand: Phased verticals with ANC-4

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Phased verticals with ANC-4
From: LarryX_Tyree@ccm.co.intel.com (LarryX Tyree)
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 96 09:13:00 PDT
     Last night provided my first good test of my phased verticals with the
     ANC-4 as a phasing box.  The two verticals are 30 meters apart, about
     the same size (27 and 30 meters) and with elevated radials.  One of
     them is my transmit antenna.

     The flexibility of the system (steerable nulls) paid off for my QSO
     with UA0KAG.  KH6CC was on the same frequency and was much louder than
     KAG.  Not sure who Jack was working - maybe he was off frequency some.

     At any rate, I was able to null Jack out so that his signal was "gone"
     and I could hear UA0KAG (who was calling CQ DX) without any QRM.

     For the European signals, I could get some improvement with the system
     over one vertical.  In some cases, I was nulling out local QRM which
     was triggering my noise blanker (had a little line noise at times).
     Other times I found I could get some improvement by nulling out the
     station, then pressing the switch that seems to invert the reference
     antenna by 180 degrees.

     Certainly the nulls are more significant than trying to peak a
     station.  Since I am defeating the mutual coupling between the
     antennas, I am not realizing any gain.  I hope to work out a passive
     phasing circuit soon so I can get some gain.  It would be nice to have
     it as adjustable as the ANC-4 is.

     The ANC-4 sure makes for an easy way to get some directivity.  It
     should be possible to use it with most any other receiving antenna you
     have to get some directivity (like an 80 meter dipole?).

     73 Tree N6TR
     tree@contesting.com

     PS: This system was the only RX antenna I used last night.