TopBand: 3DA0CA

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 3DA0CA
From: crb@nanoteq.co.za (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 08:58:26 +200
Here's another message from Jon Rudy 3DA0CA.  I've asked him if there
are any prospects for another operation (this time QRO) from the
broadcast antenna.  I'll keep the Reflector posted.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ (and 3DA0Z)

>From 3DA0CA:

I am back on the air after 2.5 months in the USA and a long winter (here) with
noisy conditions at the bottom of the sunspot cycle.  I brought back a new radio
(FT990) and amp (FL7000) so now have a bit more power.  I also put a B/W 160-10
meter folded dipole.  This is about 20 feet high and 90 feet long.  Not much for
80 and 160 but it has been enough to hear US stations on 160 and I even worked
W8AH on 160 with it.

The noise level is very high (S-7/9) at the end of the dry season here.  Now
with foggy and rainy condx coming I can finally hear. For example, this morning
(27-9) I heard the following stations on 1830-34 Khz between 0230-0335:

    W3BGN-559, STEVE IN PA
    N9US-559
    HA8B?? in QSO with W2OBB both 439
    W3RMN-559
    K3ANS-559 BILL IN PA
    WW2Y-449
    AA2UV-449
    W3RCQ-599 LOUD LOUD LOUD (he even registered about S3 on meter)
    KA2D-449
    AA2DU-449

So guys, I can hear you but you better have a good RX antenna to hear me with
my little 500 watts at 20 feet! I call on 1826 Khz 10 minutes or so before
sunrise.

I am spending more time on 80 below 3510 and calling around my sunrise at
0340z+10min (-1 minute a day) so listen for me if you need 3DA on 80.

On another note, I have obtained callsign C91CO and will QRO from Maputo from
about 1500z on 23 October until about 0500z on 28 October.  I will be on 160
most of the night, with a few forays to 40 and even 20 during the CQWW Contest.
I will get more detials of operating frequencies out closer to my departure.
As for 3DA0CA, W4DR will handle my QSL cards.

Hope to see you and 73...jon 3da0ca