TopBand: Matching transformmers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Matching transformmers
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 00:06:30 -0400

>Gentlemen,
>Please allow me to comment on another "universal truth" that ain't quite so.
> the
>ideal transformer for a Beverage antenna is not an autotransformer as
>recently described.  Due to significant surface wave ground loops induced in
>feed lines for Beverages, especially if they are long, are a big cause of
>spurious signal reception.

That is VERY good advice, and the absolute truth. That's why I use both
isolated primarys *and* choke sleeve baluns and ground rods along the
feedline. Feedline conducted garbage is a problem with any receiving antenna!

Using a "shielded drop wire" to prevent signal pick up on the vertical ends
also will not help unless you have a source of coupling within a few cable
diameters of the drop.

73 Tom