TopBand: 160/80M beverage lengths, transmitting antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160/80M beverage lengths, transmitting antennas
From: nx1g@top.monad.net (Craig Clark)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 19:39:02 -0500
At 12:36 PM 9/10/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I am looking for data on lengths of beverage antennas. I wonder what is
>a good length to use ?? I can run between 500 and 1000+ ft. in almost
>any direction.

>Is it better to use bare or insulated wire, any particular guage,
>copperweld, stranded ??

I favor 1 wavelength or 540 feet. It's a manageable length and works quite
well. Also, any wire you have is useable. I wouldn't get hung up on finding
something specific. I have used insulated, bare 18-10 gague wire. They have
all worked for me.

The wire will be supported every 75-100' at
>about 6-7' above ground. The land has a gentle slope and crosses a creek
>in several areas. I also have lots of 75 Ohm cable TV hardline, any
>ideas on connectors for the ends, and what about matching to 50 Ohm ??

Use the 75 ohm coax and a 9-1 trasnformer. Run the 75 ohm right to the radio
receive input. 75 ohm coax can be reamed out, slit with a hacksaw for 1",
stick a barrel connector inside, use a stainless screw clamp and
weatherproof. Don't sweat the 75-50 ohm problme...it's not worth the worry.

>My next question is what would be a good transmitting antenna ? Top
>loaded vertical, with/without elevated radials ?? I am looking toward a
>good 160 season from my new QTH.

How much money do you want to spend? I'd put up a grounded 1/4 vert made
with Rohn 25 and 120 1/4 radials underneath it if cost were not a problem.
I'd feed it as a unipole with a driven element the same size as the grounded
element. I would also have at least 4 1 wavelength radials in the
NE-SE-SW-NW quadrents.

"Green acres is the place for me"

73 Craig
                        Craig Clark, NX1G
                        Radio Bookstore
        Books for Amateur Radio, SWL and CB Radio Operators
                        (603) 899 6957
                        (603) 899 6826 fax
                        PO Box 209
                        Rindge, NH 03461