TopBand: Broadcasting new and amateur related material on Ham Radio

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Broadcasting new and amateur related material on Ham Radio
From: jherman@hawaii.edu (Jeffrey Herman)
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 15:06:49 -1000
Hi Dennis,
Glen Baxter K1MAN is running a broadcasting "service" on 80M. There was
a long running thread on the rec.radio.amateur.policy newsgroup regarding
him, and his 24-hour per day "service." The upshot of the discussion was
that if we wish stronger rules to prohibit such acts (which I would like
to see), then the ARRL bulletin/code practice sessions would end up being
prohibited (which I don't want to happen), too.

These guys are riding on the coat tails of the rules that allow for the
ARRL bulletins.

I emailed K1MAN and asked him if he actually felt he was providing a
service and what his listenership is. His response was to direct me
to his web page. No www here so I can't tell you what it says.

Maybe the only answer is placing pressure upon these guys from within
the amateur community. A few hundred post cards indicating how
nauseating their activites are  to us might cause them to have second
thoughts regarding their "service."

If that doesn't work, folks could set up a CW net on the skirt of their
center freq (use their carrier in place of a bfo). We did that 20 years
ago as novices in the 40M DMZ (7100-7150 kc).

73 from Hawaii,
Jeff KH2PZ / KH6