Re: [TenTec] Bad USB modulation Omni VII

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Bad USB modulation Omni VII
From: Vic Klein via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 05:05:53 -0400
I had similar reports when I first got my Omni VII and 708 almost 9 years
ago and spent time getting comments and recordings off the air to make
adjustments. I also compared using a different mic, but went back to the 707
and still get unsolicited compliments on my audio. Here are the settings I
ended up with:

Hardware mic gain (this is the screwdriver-accessed pot under the front
panel) set to 100%.I seem to recall that is fully CCW.

Mic Gain 40%

Speech processing Off

TX Bandwidth 3000

TX Roll Off 300

TX Equalizer -15dB for SSB

If you can record the audio on another rig while transmitting into a dummy
load, or find a Web SDR site that hears you well and use their record
function, you can get a good idea of what your audio is like and make
adjustments. The MON feature is not very useful in making changes.

73, =Vic=

WA4THR

-----------------------

tentec@contesting.com <mailto:tentec%40contesting.com>

[TenTec] Bad USB modulation Omni VII

Michael Rutkaus <mrutkaus@gmail.com <mailto:mrutkaus%40gmail.com> >

Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com
<mailto:tentec%40contesting.com> >

Tue, 21 Mar 2023 15:30:22 -0400

<mailto:tentec@contesting.com>

So, I don't get on sideband much.

Using the Omni VII on 20 meters with a friend just now, he describes the

modulation as horrible; another guy in our little net agreed.

I use the "MON" feature with headphones and I hear a decent signal no

distortion. Maybe slightly muffled and a touch boomy but no distortion.

BUT it seems that now I have to speak with my mouth right on the

microphone. It is the TT 707 shiny chrome mike that came with the deal. I

seem to remember being able to speak farther away from the mike to get the

same peak ALC lights.

It almost seems as if the microphone is going bad and I have to speak too

close. But again, the MON signal I hear is more or less perfectly

distortion free.

I have initially set menu everything according to K4TAX's notes and then

fooled around with stuff, nothing changes much in the reports I get or even

in the MON sound I hear.

If it were RF in the shack would it show up in the MON signal I hear? (An

FTDX1- right next to it puts out a good signal but I guess RF interference

could happen to one tx and not the other.)

Oh well if anybody has any ideas please advise.

73

Mike

K4QET