[TenTec] Orion A9 board operational thory

To: Byron Cordes via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion A9 board operational thory
From: Gary Follett <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 22:09:55 -0500
I have an Orion A9 board that has gone must.

All of the electrolytic are new so not there.

The issue is that, even though I replaced the defective 4.85 volt Zener diode
in the base of Q5, the output voltage is stuck at 6.7 volts.

When I look at the bases of Q4 and Q5, there is a strong 25 KHz “square” wave.
As near as I can figure, this design applies this signal intentionally to the
bases of Q4 and Q5 in hope that the in-phase signals at the bases will cancel
out since Q4 is PNP and Q5 is NPN.

That’s the only reason I can see for this design over a simple 7805 regulator
for the 5 volt line…

In any case, I replaced both the transistors in the amplifier, Q1 and Q2, and
also Q4 and Q5.

Since I had one, I also replaced the -20 volt inverter chip.

I am running out of parts to replace.

Does anyone actually understand this circuit?

If so, some assistance would be appreciated.

Gary

W0DVN