[TenTec] Fwd: Omni VI Option 3 TX Audio Problem

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Fwd: Omni VI Option 3 TX Audio Problem
From: Barry Simpson <vk2bj@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 19:47:03 +1000
From: Barry Simpson <vk2bj.au@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 at 18:00
Subject: Omni VI Option 3 TX Audio Problem
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>

My Omni VI Option 3 has developed a problem on SSB transmit whereby there
is a permanent tone/carrier of about 1.2kHz above the actual frequency and
within the audio passband. It was first brought to my notice by members of
my local 80m net.

I have found by monitoring on another rig that it is the same on either USB
or LSB and I can also hear it on FM.

The tone is there whether a microphone is connected or not and it increases
with the mic gain and if the processor is turned on. Although it seems to
be a very stable tone, with the gain turned up sometimes it appears to be
slightly wavering as if it is not quite zero beat with another frequency.

I am not sure when it first started as I mainly use the Omni on CW. I have
done a lot of "fiddling" with the Omni including correcting the various
oscillator frequencies (I do have a good frequency counter), installing new
IF filters and, most recently, removing, cleaning and refitting most of the
connectors on the various boards.

I have rechecked that all the connectors are properly seated and I have
also taken the top and bottom covers off as well as the plate underneath
covering the various boards in an endeavour to trace the source but nothing
I do affects it and there are no hand capacity effects on its level.

So at the moment I am stumped and any pointers as to the potential issue
would be welcomed.

Thanks in anticipation.

Barry Simpson  VK2BJ