[TenTec] 9420 VS Switcher

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 9420 VS Switcher
From: Gary Hendricks <k4mt1950@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 04:50:27 -0400
I have been looking at the schematic for my 9420 supply and it looks like the output of the series regulators have no over voltage protection. If my memory doesnt fail me I think when I was working at TenTec I remember hearing the service guys talk about pass transistor failures on this supply being somewhat common.

Has anyone used one of the high current switching supplies on the Hercules II amp? I see some avail at 14 volts and 100 amps with every protection built in.

Thinking about letting 9420 go and using one of the switchers because of the protection built in

Thanks

Gary K4MT