[TenTec] No Reception on an Omni D Series B

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] No Reception on an Omni D Series B
From: <forum4ll@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 05:17:47 +0000 (UTC)
Hello Everybody. Thanks for allowing me to join this group.
I am troubleshooting a Ten Tec Omni D that belongs to my boss. I just repaired
the VFO and that appears to be working OK but the primary problem this radio is
having is no reception but it has annoying birdies. The lack of reception was
determined with a signal generator injecting an audio tone of 1uV to 100uV at
different frequencies across all the bands into the antenna port. I couldn't
find or hear to signal on the receiver. As for the birdies, they will appear at
least once or twice on each band. Some are extremely loud like a BFO on
steroids.

Would anyone have some ideas what is going on here? Come Monday, I will again
inject a signal into the antenna port and use a signal tracer to see where the
signal drops off. It seems like the block diagram/schematic from Ten Tac should
make this hunt easy. That's my hope at least. This unit is exhibiting some
cracking/aging 0.10MFD film caps all over the radio. I replaced 4 of them on
the CW Filter already but there are more that needs attention. All of the
interconnects and pins have been cleaned with De-oxit. If there's anything
obvious I missed, let me know.

Thanks,
Lyman LewKK6LPW