Re: [TenTec] Fwd: Re: FT8

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Fwd: Re: FT8
From: Greg S via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 16:38:38 -0500
Malcolm,
The devices Jim points to are USB external audio devices. We must keep clear in
our mind that all they do (essentially , in our case) is transfer audio between
the rig and a computer. The rig can use incoming audio to start transmitting,
by using VOX, however these audio devices alone do not help you control
frequency, or mode selection, or filter width, etc. on the rig from a computer.
For this, it additionally requires a “serial” cable (most likely USB to serial
adapter cable today), that comes from the computer, and plugs into the 1/8”
(3.5mm) serial port on the rear of the Omni VI. Much of the newer software will
not have our beloved Omni VI listed as a rig to control, but many of the
commands it needs are compatible with the Icom IC-735, and you will most likely
find it listed. In my experience, the commands available on our Omni VI rigs
were not fully developed, and I had varying amounts of success using software
to control the rig. This was only MY experience, and could have fully been
operator error! I do hope this is of SOME help......this is a great group, with
much knowledge.
As a side note to Jim’s comments:  I think the recently published book from the
ARRL  “Grounding and Bonding for the Radio Amateur” (which Jim, K9YC,  had some
part in contributing, writing and/or editing), was long overdue, and deserves a
place on the bookshelf of every ham, right next to “The Handbook.” It is a
subject fraught with lore and misinformation, and the book does a superb job of
explaining this difficult subject in terms we can all understand. I have no
pecuniary interest, just a very satisfied reader.

Off the soap box, and back in my hole.
73-
Greg, KC8HXO

Sent from my Linux device