Re: [TenTec] Omni 5, Omni 6 5.0 to 5.5 MHz PLL saga -- for the repair ar

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 5, Omni 6 5.0 to 5.5 MHz PLL saga -- for the repair archive, except for the editorial comments
From: MadScientist <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 11:47:24 -0500
As I TRIED to point out on the CCA reflector a year or so ago, generally
speaking, alignment is a very poor way to correct radio problems, and I KNEW
that. It was my creed!  For my rather strong preference for this TRUE fact over
folklore, I was “unsubscribed” from that reflector. Their loss, not mine...

In this case, since light tweaking of the IF adjustments (at a point at which I
could easily return to the original settings, the ONLY way I use alignment as a
troubleshooting tool) DID improve things a bit so I mistakenly presumed that
someone had misadjusted them previously since most of the slugs on this board
were seized to the point at which I had to replace many of the cans. That
usually does not occur unless someone forced the slugs with the wrong tool.

Gary