Re: [TenTec] centurion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] centurion
From: Floyd Sense <floyd@k8ac.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 19:36:24 -0400
Rodney - chances are good that EVERYONE who owns a Centurion has a meter that doesn't read correctly.  Changes in value over time of the resistor string involved in developing the meter voltage will result in an erroneous reading.  The meter has a separate cheap single-turn pot in series with it to calibrate each of the voltage and current measurements.  The  pots age and change position with vibration when the amps are shipped.  To further complicate things, quite a few Centurions were shipped with meters that weren't the full scale reading value that the design called for.  So, if you use the official Tentec procedure to calibrate the grid current scale for example, the result will be incorrect readings.  The best approach for the high voltage reading would be to use a high-voltage probe on an external voltmeter and see what the high voltage really is under no load and then adjust the HV calibration pot to match that reading.  Unfortunately, you can't get to any of the meter calibration pots without removing the cabinet and defeating the HV interlock switch.  While it's possible to simply remove all the screws and slide the cabinet towards the rear a bit so you can get to the pots, doing so can result in the interlock switch activating and probably destroying the bias resistor(s).  You can assume that I know that from experience.   Of course, once you have the HV meter properly calibrated, the voltage may still be reading too low, which indicates power supply problems.

73, K8AC