Re: [TenTec] Running a Century 21 on external 12V power

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Running a Century 21 on external 12V power
From: Josh Gibbs <gibbsjj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 20:41:54 -0700
Hi Gary,

I tried lifting the ground wire. No change. I replaced the big filter cap.
No change. It's possible there is a leaky cap causing the hum, but short of
replacing all the capacitors in the radio I'm not sure how to find. I've
tried putting an equivalent value capacitor in with each of the
electrolytic caps (one at a time). None had any effect on the hum.

Using a swamping resistor certainly knocks the hum down to a tolerable
level, but running the radio on external 12V clears it up completely.

The radio is working fine otherwise, so I'm reluctant to start replacing
parts that are probably ok.

-Josh