Re: [TenTec] Century 21 audio hum

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Century 21 audio hum
From: Carl Moreschi <n4py3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 16:57:51 -0400
I don't think 8 ohm headphones were correct. I think much higher impedance phones forces you to turn the volume up and drown out the hum.

Direct conversion receivers are susceptible to a hum because the VFO is running at the operating frequency and can mix externally with 60 hertz. This is then detected in the receiver as a hum. I used to put .01 caps across my HW8 power supply to kill this RF and remove a lot of the hum. Electrolytic caps don't work at RF.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com