Re: [TenTec] Scale Of Eagle Production

To: terry foskey <n5tf@yahoo.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scale Of Eagle Production
From: Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 10:55:21 -0500
I  couldn’t keep my dog out of this hunt.

Aside from what everyone and his brother wants in a new ten tec radio, in my
opinion, we’re all missing one important point.

And while I have no numbers or figures to back up what I’m about it say, just
listening around is enough for me.

so, that important point?

Everyone thinks Ten Tec is out of business.

I too applaud Mike’s efforts and I’ll support the company as much as I can. But
think about it? You’re going to drop between $1600 and $2000 for a radio that
you might not be able to get repaired a year later because Ten Tec might once
and for all go out of business.

Yesterday I went to a hamfest and overheard two hams talking about Ten Tec.
Well that piqued my interest. They were complaining that there is no place or
no one that will repair the equipment. I of course told them that’s not true
and in fact the factory is doing repairs with a turn over of about two weeks.

As the conversation continued, apparently one of the guys thought the company
was still selling radios. I told him they were not, but according to the owner,
they do plan on making a run of Eagle transceivers in a month or two. He said
he wouldn’t buy one no matter what they sell for, simply because he couldn’t
rely on them to be around if needed.

So, like the legendary Phoenix that rose from the ashes, Ten Tec is going to
pop back up on the radar, sell a hundred rigs and then what? Is Joe ham going
to run out and buy one? How many “Elmers” out there are going to tell his
student, to ‘buy a Ten Tec radio?’ Sure. Sure. Sure. I drank the Kool-aid.
Great radios. Best ever made. Outstanding factory service. Yada, Yada, Yada.

The fix? I’m no Rhodes scholar, but for the cheap, how about a company
sponsored Facebook page? I’m talking one managed by the company and not a fan
based page. If Ten Tec doesn’t have the resources in man power, grab a teenager
and have him/her build the page. It’s free.

Will Ten Tec be set up at Dayton Hamvention? They’d better be. Sure, of course
I know that takes money. It would be money well spent though. I’d even go so
far as to suggest running a 1/12 page ad in QST. If nothing else, letting the
ham population know the company is alive, in good hands, and will producing
product soon. That way the guy that’s thinking of buying a new radio, that
doesn't know that Ten Tec is still in business, might consider Ten Tec if he
knew they’re still around.

So, that’s my take on it. It’s not about producing the next IC7300. Or living
the dreams of the ultra Ten Tec radio by a bunch of us here on this reflector.
The company needs to make money. Bottom line. And if that means, like Terry
said, selling the things that sell well, while producing the maximum profit,
then that’s what should be done.

The ham radio community needs to know that Ten Tec has rose from the ashes.
It’s alive and kicking. The company needs to sell product to not only the group
on this reflector, but to everyone that has a ham ticket.

Mike, WB8VGE

Mike Bryce
prosolar@sssnet.com

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never  know if they are
genuine”

—Abraham Lincoln