Re: [TenTec] OT: Simple antenna software w/impedance

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Simple antenna software w/impedance
From: Greg S via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 01:35:56 +0000 (UTC)
Peter-
I had an almost identical semi-horizontal loop at my last QTH for years. Fed
with W7FG true ladder line, running right into the basement shack, thru a gap
in an aluminum window frame. Tuned with a Johnson Viking Matchbox. My  loop
wire was about 274 feet, and the old JVM tuned it on all bands except 160M. The
ladder line was tied up near the ceiling, passing within inches of cast iron
Drain pipes, and steel heating/cooling ducts. I had 19 acres, and some nice
TALL trees, and hung MANY different wire antennas over time we lived there,
INCLUDING an 80M EDZ, and Jamaica, and Shirley arrays. From MY experience, the
loop I described was the best overall antenna I ever had in the air, for MY
operation style. NOT a DX chaser, although I worked a bunch. NOT a contester,
although I participated in a few to hand out some contacts. Most of my time was
on SSB NTS traffic nets on 40 and 80M SSB. I finally gave up trying to improve
on that antenna. MY experience. I suggest you just build that thing and get it
in the air. You WILL make contacts. If you are going to be a DX hound, I would
suggest a vertical, of some kind. For contacts inside 600-800 miles on 40 and
80, NO vertical will work as well as a cloud burner, overall.
You will notice MANY problems with my described setup. Some will probably
crucify it, in fact. Fact is, it WORKED. There were conditions at that property
I always wondered if, somehow, they made the loop work so well there. The water
table was quite near the surface, and our water had a very high iron content.
Wonder if it acted as  some sort of "built in" ground plane, or reflector?!!???

My favourite quote on antenna "theory":

"Those who say it can not be done, should not interrupt those doing it."

Get that wire in the air, and report back!!!!

73-
Greg, KC8HXO