[TenTec] 544 Tritn Whine

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 544 Tritn Whine
From: Kirk Smith via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 04:36:21 +0000 (UTC)
Hello to all...My 544 Triton seems to have a high pitch whine, at low volume,
with the RF Gain up or down. I've read a review on E-Ham about a mod that
eliminated the noise.....they removed the c5 cap 750pf on the logic board .
Well, my schematic does not show this cap & that there's no actual cap between
pin 17 of the IC to Vcc. I also don't see that cap on my board. Anyway, I
listen at low volume & needless to say, the whine is beginning to make me
whine!! Any ideas before the radio heads back to TT? One last thing, I tested
another 544 next to it, & was quiet....my ser # is 544-1618, the quiet rig is
544-1355.Thanks, Kirk